Monday, November 2, 2015

Digital Marketing



For the first time in my blogs, I am hitting straight on the title –Digital Marketing!! Honestly, I have been too fascinated with this word and I have no idea why! We are all using some or the other digital stuff but then Digital Marketing is something interesting.

During my MBA, we were given a project called “Sell Yourself”. Well sounds weird, but that exactly what each of us today are doing. No offence or wrong meaning please. Each of us are selling our capabilities, knowledge, humanity or anything which is unique in us. How we do we do that? And the obvious answer is through Digital Marketing! We are marketing our capabilities, our thoughts and last but not the least we are creating an image or what we call as a brand in the corporate term! We are creating our own brand to sell ourselves. Most of us are on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, lots of people blog (Like me- there!! I am marketing my capability to write, lol)

From a layman perspective, or atleast that was my perspective till I didn’t do a bit of reading, that social media marketing is digital marketing. Well, that’s not right. Social media marketing is just one part of the digital marketing and this social media marketing includes all forms of networking sites like FB, Twitter, you tube etc.

What we don’t know, which may be a digital marketer knows , for which he or she gets a decent pay package is that Digital marketing also involves other things like
•Search Engine Optimization
•Search Engine Marketing or Online Advertising,
•Email Marketing
•Analytics
•Social Media Marketing

And why are these a part of Digital Marketing? Answer is very simple. We need some digital gadget to do marketing or the follow ups as in the analysis of these. Most of this wouldn’t exist without a gadget. Or rather any of these wouldn’t work without a digital gadget.

So let me give a definition to Digital Marketing. Any form of marketing or marketing related activity which involve a digital tools or gadget is called as digital marketing. Does that mean that we were not doing digital marketing in olden days when we didn’t have these modern day gadgets like tab or mobile? No, we did do that but the target audience was not limited or to put better it was more of a mass marketing as compared to a targeted marketing.

Every coin has two sides and so does digital marketing. If from a seller’s perspective, it’s a boon, from a customer’s perspective I don’t know if I should call it a bane or what, but it is definitely not safe. Last weekend we had been to an exhibition for some house hunt and at every stall that we stopped by; we had to give in our mobile numbers and email Ids. And when my husband passed the form to me, I ensured that I give his mobile number and e-mail than mine. Finally when we came out, I was giggling telling him that I had given his number everywhere. Well that was a joke until he came back home to see his mail ID already flooding with mails related to the property. Some database would have been created and the details had got circulated. We don’t need any Swami on radio to trouble people by sharing their numbers. If you really want to trouble someone or get some work done, just send out their mobile numbers and Email Ids and your work would be done!

Limited to what I knew and what I found interesting, I felt I should write something .Now I will post the link of my blog on FB, LinkedIn ,use WhatsApp and emails send the link to my friends or reviewers! Hence using digital marketing to sell my capabilities! Please do share your review and comments on the blog.(Another form of digital marketing!)

Beware!!Caution Note- I have an analytics engine to measure the reach and know how many people read this blog. And the tool helps me to understand the geographies from where people have read it and the source that has been used. I have been using this analysis for last few years. Hence the concept is not new, it always existed and it is we the customers who have made digital marketing a buzz today!


2 comments:

  1. Great stuff.... Dammit!! You should have conducted one lecture in the course... Way to go girl.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hence we are moved towards the digital world entirely for our comfort level. So we have to optimize within that. It involves likewise you told SEO, SMM, SMO and all. Please keep share like this.

    Digital Marketing Agency in Chennai

    ReplyDelete