Thursday, March 15, 2012

i want to be empowered!

I was going through the bloggers contest in intranet of Wipro and the contest was named “Empower girls”. People had their own thoughts that if women or girls should be educated , then they would become empowered, providing them decision making powers would make them empowered, some also claimed that modern day women is already empowered and lets may be talk about village girls in this regard.

Some also showed their anger saying women’s day should not be celebrated as girls should not be given any special treatment. All was accepted as it was right to express their views. But I believe when a girl has to get married she would say “In whatever 21st century I live, however educated I may be, I am still not empowered.”

According to me girls would be empowered when:

Empowerment to me (as a girl) is when my husband would come to my place after the wedding and not me going to my in-laws place. I don’t want to live alone also, but you should shift to my home forever. Empower us with the right to live with my family forever.

The guy’s family take the entire cost of the wedding and make us feel that we the women are empowered. It should be the guy’s family who should save in fortunes to get their son married. Well I wouldn’t mind if you want to give dowry too. J

When a couple is blessed with baby, it should be the man who should take a break from the career for few years to do the baby sitting and not the women. If that happens, I would say women are empowered. I have the courage to be the only earning member in the family to support my entire family.

When I come back from office, I want to throw my shoes here and there, and head to the dining table for food which should be delicious enough for me to eat while watching cricket match. If not I should have the empowerment to throw it off on my husband’s face and say “haven’t your parents taught you to cook”?

He should look into the kitchen and decide what the groceries to be bought are and I wouldn’t mind paying the bills which he would hand it over to me as everything is done online these days. In such a case I would call that women are empowered.Empowerment is when he should be worried when maid do not turn up as he has to do all the work, right from sweeping, washing utensils and also the clothes if required.

I should have the empowerment to party out suddenly one day and give a call and say “I am having a night out party tonight, don’t wait for me, you have your dinner”. I do not want to think if he had already cooked something, or how long he has been waiting for me. I want the empowerment not to think emotionally about anything. I can buy a diamond ring or a new blackberry as an apology to make him happy for any mistake that I would have done and made him angry.

And last but not the least; I would say girls are empowered when people should say “behind every successful woman, there is a man”.

1 comment:

  1. excellent post Sharanya! I just loovveed it!! :) I would like to add few more -

    When I say my husband that I had an affair before marriage and we broke up due to some issues we had.. and he takes it coolly and not ask, 'What? You had an affair before me?'

    When he respects my world and do not give me wierd looks when I say I am going out to see some friends that include "guys"

    Be extremely understanding when I take my stress on him and don't talk to him but only worry about what happened to the football match.. he could even be sick and would have told me about it in the morning but hey who cares!! I have my football match... :)

    ReplyDelete