Sunday, November 25, 2012

Am i Empowered?

It was a Friday morning. I walked off towards the bus stop to catch my bus to office. I saw a woman running behind her daughter, packing her school bags and lunch boxes. After the kid got into her school bus, few minutes later, similar scene was seen when she packed the lunch and ran behind her husband. Once he got into car she waved her hands, and I believe her husband hardly noticed that. She has dedicated her life for her family, although the decision making and dignity of the running the family still goes to the husband, who is called the bread winner of the family.


Soon I settled in the bus which then crossed a college, where all young girls were happily chirping around with the gang of guys, enjoying their life. They do not know what lies ahead for them, but all they know now is to enjoy their life. At times when I see these young girls enjoying their lives, I envy them. I wonder if I missed the fun which I should have done at that age of my life. Was I wrong to have spent my life, working hard to achieve some goals in my life. I never had time for unwanted diversions, and life ran with a focus, a focus about future, a focus to achieve something in life.


As I entered office, I saw in a conference room where all women along with few men, who all seemed to be a part of the senior management were attending a meeting. They don’t come just to work but are the decisions makers of the organizations.


After completing my work, when I took back the bus, there sat a woman and a man right before me. The man was shouting at his wife in Tamil, thinking others there wouldn’t understand. He was scolding the lady’s family members. She didn’t say anything but was quietly listening. My anger was shooting up the way he shouted at her and more at the way she sat quiet listening to him. I choose to get down at the next bus stop and take another bus as I was all alone at this place and to get into their personal arguments could have been a risky thing for me.


As the day ended, I was confused with the varied roles that women play today. There are those who are being suppressed by men even today. And then there are those who rub shoulders with men and run organizations. There are those who do not realize what their responsibilities are and then those who have dedicated their life for their families.


During the weekend, I attended a film festival. The Movies were about the problem that women today are facing and empowering such women. Soon when then film maker stood up for a discussion , I wondered is the way she described about the women the real scenario, or is she the way women today are, who are supporting by the families to work for the noble cause!


The confidence she had, the authenticity she had, the power she had, the dignity she had, the knowledge she had, the courage she had was all what the women in her documentary didn’t have to fight the world.


I wonder which role of women I am playing in my life. How empowered I am in my life as woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment