Sunday, December 16, 2012

Barometers of our emotions!

As I was getting ready, my roommate insisted me to put the lipstick I got and till the time I was getting ready, she looked at me and I kept asking her “Is it ohk?”, and she would give her honest expressions of “Good” or “Not Good”.


I missed my mom at that point of time. Had I been at home, “NO” my mom wouldn’t have told me in actual if what I am wearing is looking right for the occasion or my earring and chappals looks ohk with my dress, rather I used to understand just by looking at her.

I just finished reading a book of Cecelia ahern, which says “your parents are the barometers of your emotions”. I understood that’s right. I loved a friend or hated one, depending on the expression of my parents. I wouldn’t know if the marks I have got in a test good or bad, unless I told it my parents and saw their expressions on their faces, which would determine if I should be happy or sad.

I still remember how my parents distributed sweets and announced in their office and school about sis and me getting first and second ranks in our 10th board exams with 90 percent marks. We both felt embarrassed and asked them not to do, but they still did. As we grew older, we never gave them such opportunity for which they could distribute sweets, no not that we scored low, but we did what they didn’t want us to do. We took up different careers for our life into management and journalism which they didn’t like or they did I still don’t know.

But as I read the book “Where Rainbows End”, I realized that parents live their life once again with their kids, as they grow and they fulfill all their dreams which they couldn’t achieve in their own lives. They are scared that their kids shouldn’t commit the same mistakes that they did in their life. But one thing they don’t understand is that we have leant from their mistakes, so we would never make the same mistakes. However we would definitely have our set of mistakes to be committed, which they cannot imagine, neither can we.

I wanted to call my mom and cry saying I am missing you, but then I realized what her reaction would be “Why the hell do you read such books and cry! Stop reading that!” (Last book I read was ‘I too had a love story’, she shouted the same, after she saw me cry so bad). So her to be expression became the barometer of my emotion and I choose not to call her.

But then why do they want me to get married and go away when their expressions are the barometers of my emotions? Looking at their happiness on the wedding day could make me feel happy for some time. But I wondered if it is going to be one more opportunity for them to distribute sweets in their offices and colleagues and amongst their friends. Then it is equally embarrassing as I felt after scoring well in my 10th standard, and they distributed sweets, as I still don’t understand the happiness they get by doing that.

I wondered, today living away from my parents, I don’t get to see them, so what is the barometer of my emotions? But was it an unconscious act by my subconscious mind to move away from Delhi, because I knew they were unhappy with me which mind understood by looking at their expressions? Wondering Wondering!

No comments:

Post a Comment