Monday, June 13, 2011

A walk to remember

It was the second saturday of the month. But this Saturday was different from last Saturday or last few Saturdays.

I was sitting at the fence of basket ball court and watching them all play. They were happy, they were all the same, they didn’t know that Rahul who was once one among them is no more today, as they have been told that he has been adopted, and he has got parents, as it happens with many of them.

As I was thinking how Rahul could have been saved if he would have been taken to hospital on time, tears were falling down my cheek, wondering why no one did anything. Suddenly a smart looking young fellow came and asked, “thinking about Rahul”, I looked up at him with tears in my eyes and couldn’t see him properly, and I just said, I am sorry, but I haven’t seen you here before. He said “yes I have come here after a long time, but why are you crying” I snapped back “that’s none of your business and I don’t have to discuss as I don’t know you.” he smiled back saying “if it’s for Rahul, feel happy, as he is with parents in the heaven today” and before the fellow could say anything, I broke down into tears, I got up and moved out to the park.

When I was going, Sister Mary got me a photo of Rahul and me that I had asked for, in which I was running with him in his wheelchair and he was so happy, that he hugged me tight and gave a tight Kiss, saying you look like my real sister. Rahul was 6 years old and his entire family was going on a vacation where they all met with an accident and entire family had died, and he was the sole survivor, but he lost he legs and wheel chair had become a part of his life. All the other children in the orphanage had never seen their parents, so the pain they faced was less as compared to Rahul because often I had seen him, looking at the photos of his family and crying.


I left for the day. It is a place where I go to feel that life has been so grateful to me that I have a healthy family, parents, sister, her family and her kids, money, a good career, a good education which my parents gave me. Yet there was a time when I used to be unhappy thinking about small things in life. But when I used to go to this place, looking at the children, I forgot small things and enjoyed what I had. But it so happened that I had got attached to the kids here so much that, orphanage had become my third home, first my own home, where my parents are there to scold me that I still get up late, I don’t cook, I am careless. And second is my office, my table, my friends and my work, which is my passion, and this is my third home.

I reached home, my first home. I have told mom dad that I have office on second Saturdays and would come early. Because they are old that I found it difficult to explain them why I go to orphanage. The very idea of it had fumed my parents saying, what has happened to you? They might find this as one reason why I am not getting married or whatever bad would happen, this would be the cause, so I choose not to tell them this secret.

Then as usual I forgot things, focusing on my work at home and at office and in the last week of same month, someone called me from orphanage saying “an old student has come, so we are all celebrating his birthday, you can join us if you want”. I was happy; I anyway had wanted a break as, so I agreed. I packed off from office soon, as usual I got a “globe and made a small tree painting”, tree is a symbol of Parents according to me and globe is to show to children that entire world is one family; you are not alone in this world. As soon I switched off the ignition “all kids ran to my car, they knew birthday and didi is here means loads of sweets and chocolates” I got out and handed over to them all the sweets and gift still remained in my hand. They all screamed chalo, cake cut karenge, Vishal bhaiya ka birthday hai aaj. I shouted chalo chalo, let’s go fast, mujhe bhi cake khana hai. And as we ran to the place, I found that young chap with the birthday cap on his head, was waiting to cut the cake. I dint know how to react, and all kids started shouting happy birthday to you, and he had cut the cake and so I joined the kids in singing. Later all screamed, didi apne gift do na, I handed over the gift and said, “I assumed it to be a kid, so the gift is according to it”. He smiled and said, “I am still a kid, thank you”.

Then we cut the cake, the kids started to eat and dance. As I was watching them Vishal came and said “coming for a walk”, I said “ yea ohk but if you promise to forget how I behaved that day with you, since I was really upset”, he said “ Alright”.

We went in the ground of the orphanage and started walking and I asked, are you heading the orphanage? He said, “no, I was an orphan, when bought here, but now have a big family and a big responsibility, I don’t run it but was a part of it. And now it’s my part”. I said “great” and he was like “I heard from sister Mary that you come here often, if you don’t mind would like to know about you. I said, “My life is completely opposite to you. I have everything in life, yet I used to feel, there is something lacking, I used to be hurt by betrayal of people, so I wanted to learn to live life, which I learnt from the kids here and that’s why I come here”. And then I told him about members in family, my parents, my sister and everyone, and his obvious response was “I am jealous”. I said, “I am sorry”. He was like don’t be sorry, and but that’s why I said being with family is better even if it’s in heaven as in case of Rahul, you must have felt bad, why I said that ways that day, but I know what it means to miss the family”.

And then I also discussed about my professional life where I am working, what do I do, and when I asked him what does he do? He smiled and said, “I get money to give stupid suggestions”. I responded “A consultant” and he was like “look everyone knows what a consultant does” and we laughed. Mean while the kids had joined us in the ground and we all went to basketball ground and started playing and I said bye to everyone and took leave. He still was playing, I waved to everyone, he waved back, and I left the place.

I went home, no doubt it was late than my usual time, and as usual , when I went inside, my mom started shouting, and when I am very happy, only thing I do is to “Jadu ki Jhappi” at least my parents get convinced with that like the kids. And I switched on the laptop to check mails, when mom asked, “you had your dinner? I said “haan office me Kha liya”. Mom banged the glass of milk on table and said” you remember you got your interview tomorrow?” I shouted back “Haan Yaad hai” and when mom went out, I hurriedly open my mail to see the timings, date and venue, which I had completely forgotten about. Even now exams or interview always made me nervous. I kept thinking what to do? I opened the websites and started to read, but could not concentrate.

Next day I reached the new office for interview half an hour before. I have a problem of reaching much before time, as I have had bad experiences of missing my flights. The secretary led me to the interviewer’s room; I didn’t get time to read the name board. She led me and said,” Sir has gone out, would return in sometime, may be if he is driving, he would take a phonic interview, if he is not able to reach office on time, and is that okay with you?” I gulped “I said I can wait till he comes” and secretary replied, “he doesn’t like to make people wait, I will connect you in the phone after 30 minutes, pointing towards the white color phone kept there” and she closed the door. I wished I were outside, would have been observing people here and there. I got up; I took a notebook and pen, in case it was going to be phonic interview. When I was about to get up, my eyes caught the globe; I started rotating it and went back to memories of the day before.

Suddenly my mobile rang, with a loud caller tune, I was taken aback and thanked god that it rang now, that I got to know, I have to put it on silent mode. I attended the call. It was from dad to ask, if I have reached the venue of interview. After the call, I remembered for all my school exams, dad would drop us both and wait till our exam would get over. I and my sister (Twin) would come out chattering about the answers, and by the time we would to the place where dad is, I would say mere 2 mistakes hai and I will get this marks and she has five mistakes and get this marks. Funny were those days. And dad would ask “pass ho jaoge” we would scream in chorus” papa full marks se two marks kam aayenge and you are talking about passing” and he say “ ohk good good”, come lets go home.”

Then I had put my phone on silent and started to move around, just to calm myself and I looked at that painting, looked very similar to what I make. And when I was just looking at it, the white color phone rang. I ran and took the call. And smart voice spoke, “hey sorry I am getting late, lets start with the interview, and I would reach there soon in person” and he started “ tell something about yourself” and I started with my usual “ blah blah blah” and then what profile you had in your last organization” I explained and by the time I finished the answer, the door opened loud and I turned with a jerk. And it was a moment of silence………………….Vishal was there. He shouted “hey hi”, I didn’t answer thinking the call is still on”, I waved my hands weekly. He said, “You can put back the phone. Before I could say something, secretary came behind him and said “sorry mam”, since Sir has come, I had just disconnected the call.” I was speechless. He must have thought I am one of the dumbest fellow, on my behavior, had I not talked to him day before. But I can also say, this confusion came because I met him the day before or whatever!

Finally I spoke, when I realized what was it going on “ were you the one taking my interview on phone?” he said “ Yes Mam and You can join tomorrow ”, would you like to go for lunch now?” I smiled back asking, “ interview?” he said “ I have already got your answers yesterday when we were walking” I laughed back “lets go for lunch, I am extremely hungry” and started describing my nervousness of attending this interview and we laughed like hell!

Note: The story is purely imaginative and any resemblance to any person or incident is fictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment